[clue-tech] Kubuntu 6.6

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jul 12 18:03:55 MDT 2006

Yuko Jonah wrote:
> I installed kubuntu and I'm happy with it. Problem is when i update/upgrade
> it appears to update/upgrade the kernels. On the boot menu i have more than
> 3 boot/ recovery menu. How can i prevent this from happening

Assuming you want to stop kernel upgrades, just pay attention when
you're upgrading and don't allow the new kernels to install.  How you do
that depends on which package tool you're using.

You can also uninstall old kernels at the same time if you tell the
package tool to.  (I love the "WARNING, you're about to remove the
running kernel message".  (But don't do that unless you're sure the new
one will work.))

Be warned though, this is Linux.  If your tools tell you that to upgrade
they will remove something you really care about, then they will and
you'll be unhappy.  So you should pay attention to what they are doing
and ensure you approve.  The Ubuntu guys try to keep that from happening
but they aren't omniscient.  Help them out by supervising your tools.