[clue-tech] Kubuntu 6.6

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 16:26:38 MDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 15:19:48 -0600
"Yuko Jonah" <spidna at gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed kubuntu and I'm happy with it. Problem is when i
> update/upgrade it appears to update/upgrade the kernels. On the boot
> menu i have more than 3 boot/ recovery menu. How can i prevent this
> from happening, what do i need to edit and how do i get  rid of the
> other kernels from the boot menu. i could comment them out but i
> don't want to go that way.

Well, you probably don't want to prevent it -- when it installs new
kernels, it should be due to security issues.

To get rid of the unwanted kernel packages, pop open Adept or Synaptic
and search for linux-image. Remove the older kernel packages that you
no longer want. That should take care of it.

I'd recommend leaving the newest kernel image and the most recent
known-good kernel image, so you always have a known-good image. I've
never had a flaky kernel from Ubuntu, but it's better to be safe than
sorry.

Best,

Zonker
--