[clue-tech] Curious about decline in attendance at CLUE meetings

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Jul 22 03:43:33 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> I'm kinda curious about the decline in members who actually attend
> CLUE meetings.

My number 1 difficulty is time/commute related.  I drive from I-25 and
Arapahoe to I-25 and 120th and back, every day of the week.

(Yeah, so much for that "I'll get a house near the Tech Center because
that's where techie jobs will be" thought I had once.  Boy was that dumb.)

I try to make it to Clue-North, and have infrequently attended.  It's
literally in the next building over, a short walk across a grassy hill.

But...

I-25 has steadily declined back into daily gridlock even as T-REX
widened it, I suppose due to a continuing rise in the number of people
moving here, I don't really know.

Oh well, of course I could move... but... oh... um... no.

I really enjoyed the CLUE-North Asterisk meeting, and some of the
others.  I just need to make it more often, I guess.

Also, as another poster seemed to say, I don't think I "get enough" out
of a face to face meeting -- the "great to meet other Linux folks" part
is the biggest motivation, but a restaurant and a beer is a better way
to do that than a presentation.

I sit through presentation meetings at work -- unless the topic is
something I'm *REALLY* interested in, I'd rather just meet up with y'all
at a pub and say hello once in a while... the online format "where Linux
geeks are gathered 24/7" is generally more useful to me.

By the way, the other HUGE time sink in my life... here's my usual plug
for Ham Radio.  We all "meet" daily while driving to/from work...

http://www.w0cra.org

http://www.hello-radio.org

And over the last three years, the Ham Radio VHF and Microwave
CONTESTING bug has bitten and bitten hard... see the insanity at :

http://www.rmham.org/gallery2/v/2006rover/

And the other guys in the contest group were "fixed" like the last four
years, while I was mobile for the first time this year:

http://www.rmham.org/gallery2/v/album/

It keeps us busy... and tube radios and amplifiers can always be used as
a secondary house heat source for your house.  Even better than
computers!  LOL!

And as one Contester answers... "Why do we do it?"... Because we can.

And the very best VHF Contest logging software out there is
cross-platform TCL/TK.  Who'd a thunk it?  ;-)

http://www.2ub.org/roverlog/

Nate