[clue-tech] Pristine root for restore

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Jul 27 10:24:35 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> On 7/23/06, mike havlicek <mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>> --- Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > When booting from CD in rescue mode, have you tried
>> > skipping the scan
>> > for RedHat systems? This will get you to a shell
>> > prompt without
>> > mounting anything.
>>
>> The scan seems to be required to get the logical
>> volume
>> devices set up in accord with the previous/existing
>> system. Learning to set up lvm from rescue would be a
>> value in this type of situation :)
>>

> It's doable; you just need to remember the command to activate LVM.
> Every time I do this, I say I'm going to write it down, but I didn't.
> You can find it by searching the boot scripts, since the same command
> has to be issued during a normal boot.

I know I'm jumping on this topic late.. but what you're looking for is:

# modprobe dm-mod (load the LVM kernel module if not compiled in already)
# vgscan (locate the VGs)
# vgchange -a y (active the VGs)

After this you should be able to manually mount any of your volumes with
# mount /dev/vgname/lvname /mnt/targetfolder

-Ken