[clue-tech] Off Topc --- somewhat --- Fibre storage from Compaq <--

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 22:04:31 MDT 2006

This is somewhat interesting and goes off topic given
the in and outs of kernel support for the specific
hardware mentioned herein.

In particular I am speaking of a hardware combo of
what I believe is a 4500R Storage Works array cabinet
connected with an HBA (Host Bus Adapter) which is of
the 64 bit variety using a Tachyon TS chipset. In the
2.4 series kernels there was a compaq provided driver.
Since the 2.6 series this driver has been removed from
the standard distribution but the code is still
available from SourceForge.

Ultimately the driver "out of the box" in its source
form is unusable with the 2.6 series kernels given at
least a re-write of SCSI integration.

Which leads to off topicness. I have found it possible
to modify the HP provided driver diskettes for
Solaris 8 to allow successful installation of Solaris
9 x86. I admit that this treading into dark waters,
but the funny thing is that the driver diskettes
provided for Solaris 8 are only commented as to
working with 2.6 and 2.7.

Anywho, I do find the hardware to be somewhat
slick.One  condescding note is the notion of RAID-0. I
have found it unclear whether using the HP/Compaq
Smart Start uilities how striping is or is not
implemented.

For example it is made "very" clear when using Solaris
Volume Manager, the difference between RAID-0+1 and
RAID-0-1.

-CU

Mike