[clue-tech] Distro musings

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sat Jul 29 14:00:26 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:

> Slackware - my first - not enough packages

You clearly are a bloat-lover :-)

> Caldera - pretty good but SCO screwed the pooch

You must never have tried to adapt a RedHat package to Caldera <shudder>.

> Man[drake|driva] - never really liked it.

Yeah, I can't hear their new name without thinking about mandrills. Plus
they do weird things to the kernel.

> What I am always looking for  ...

Okay, I thought I might have a suggestion ...

> In essence, that means Debian (possibly Ubuntu) or Gentoo. I'll still
> hang onto my CentOS and Ubuntu (maybe that will be usable again in a
> month or so) setups, but most of my effort will go into completing my
> Gentoo system.

... but I guess you've made up your mind, so I won't say anything about
Arch Linux, with which I've had very good experiences over the past 2
years. I won't tell you that, although it's more bleeding edge than not,
I've had very few cases of broken packages; or observe that the Arch
approach of doing a few simple things very well probably helps minimize
problems, or that the fact that it is a binary distro probably exposes
many issues before packages are released. Nor will I tell you that the
Arch community is by and large very sophisticated, but also more
newbie-friendly than many I've seen.

;-)

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :