[clue-tech] Distro musings

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 15:25:32 MDT 2006

On 7/29/06, Matt Gushee <matt at gushee.net> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > Slackware - my first - not enough packages
>
> You clearly are a bloat-lover :-)
>
> > Caldera - pretty good but SCO screwed the pooch
>
> You must never have tried to adapt a RedHat package to Caldera <shudder>.

Probably written from the standpoint (not totally uncommon) that Red
Hat was the $DEITY and any RPM distro that didn't do things the Red
Hat way was bent. And yes, I've had the <shudder> privilege of doing
exactly that. Interestingl bit of trivia: Caldera was the primary
developer of the RPM package manager

> > What I am always looking for  ...
>
> Okay, I thought I might have a suggestion ...
>

> ... but I guess you've made up your mind, so I won't say anything about
> Arch Linux, with which I've had very good experiences over the past 2
> years. I won't tell you that, although it's more bleeding edge than not,
> I've had very few cases of broken packages; or observe that the Arch
> approach of doing a few simple things very well probably helps minimize
> problems, or that the fact that it is a binary distro probably exposes
> many issues before packages are released. Nor will I tell you that the
> Arch community is by and large very sophisticated, but also more
> newbie-friendly than many I've seen.

OK, don't tell me anything I wouldn't want to know <grin>. I've plenty
of harddrive space left, so I'll put up an Arch system one of these
days, but I have several round tuits to get to first.

--
Collins Richey