[clue-tech] Distro musings

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sat Jul 29 16:51:57 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:

>> You must never have tried to adapt a RedHat package to Caldera <shudder>.
>>

> Probably written from the standpoint (not totally uncommon) that Red
> Hat was the $DEITY and any RPM distro that didn't do things the Red
> Hat way was bent.

Well, at the time I tried Caldera (early '99), RedHat had a number of
packages that Caldera didn't--in particular it had some packages for
Japanese support that I needed. And having learned to build and make
minor mods to SRPMs on RedHat systems (and a couple other RPM distros,
like TurboLinux, which were very compatible with RedHat), it was a bit
of a shock to try to go to Caldera and find they had a whole different
set of macros. Plus, they capitalized their package names, which was
disturbing to anyone indoctrinated in Unixism.

> And yes, I've had the <shudder> privilege of doing
> exactly that. Interestingl bit of trivia: Caldera was the primary
> developer of the RPM package manager

No kidding! So why isn't it called CPM?

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :