[clue-tech] Distro musings

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 09:34:12 MDT 2006

I love it. On LinuxToday a quote from

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/269/81/

"... unless businesses like dealing with multiple hardware issues, a
substandard Java environment, and a lack of proprietary Web browser
plugins, I can't see how Ubuntu Linux 6.06 is ready for anything
except perhaps a patch release."

Sort of sums up my experiences. I liked Ubuntu until I bought a new
computer, and then I descended into hardware hell. Don't misunderstand
 - this could happen to any distro, but Ubuntu LTS 6.06 has descended
to Enterprise status, ie my problems will probably not be fixed within
the lifetime  of the distro.

OTOH, the comment on Web browser plugins is specious and misleading to
say the least if not a red herring. No self respecting distro is going
to subject itself to the legal remaifications of "distributing" the
proprietary code in most browser plugins. The browser plugins and
codecs are available in Ubuntu format from a number of sites.

--
Collins Richey