[clue-tech] my Apache2 server is going to /var/www rather than namebased domains

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Jul 30 12:07:26 MDT 2006

John Kennedy wrote:
> good morning,
>
> I have an Apache2 server (ubuntu-6-06 server) on my
> dsl connection that was working fine, but,
>
> I did something that caused it to , on all domains go
> to the /var/www/ directory.... instead of the
> subdirectory for each domain.

If your web server is running at all (sounds like it is) then its config
file is (syntacticly) correct.  So you can read that and see what it's
doing and why, and ask questions about parts you don't understand.

If you don't want to get into the guts of the config you can diff
/etc/apache2 against a backup from when it was working.  That should
make it pretty obvious.

Sorry, since your problem doesn't seem to produce any error messages all
we can really do to help is look at your config and see how it doesn't
match your requirements.  But you'd be better off doing that yourself.

On Debian, which should be close to Ubuntu, the apache2 config is pretty
modular.  So your virtual hosts (which is the first place to look) are
defined in /etc/apache2/sites-available with links in sites-enabled.
That's assuming you didn't change any DNS or other externals that would
affect the HTTP requests you get.

Good luck.