[clue-tech] my Apache2 server is going to /var/www rather than namebased domains

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Sun Jul 30 09:49:18 MDT 2006

John Kennedy wrote:

> I have an Apache2 server (ubuntu-6-06 server) on my
> dsl connection that was working fine, but,

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, by "on your dsl
connection," you mean that it is in your home/office/whatever, serving
incoming HTTP requests?

> I did something that caused it to , on all domains go
> to the /var/www/ directory.... instead of the
> subdirectory for each domain.

Okay, obviously you don't know exactly what you did to your Apache
configuration, but what actions have you taken lately that you are aware
of? Or are you saying you don't know when this happened, either?

> Could someone give me some hint as to what screwup I
> probably made?

Presumably you had some virtual hosts configured in your Apache config
file (/etc/httpd/httdp.conf or some such thing). Either the virtual
hosts are gone, or your config file has been replaced. Have you upgraded
Apache since the last time it was working correctly? That might cause
your config file to be replaced.

Another possibility: if you were using dynamic virtual hosts--i.e.
Apache finds their directories according to a pattern evaluated at
runtime--you need to have mod_vhost_alias. But surely you'd remember if
you had set this up.

--
Matt Gushee
: Bantam - lightweight file manager : matt.gushee.net/software/bantam/ :