[clue-tech] two monitors - the new fad

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 15:00:35 MDT 2006

At work, we hired a new guy about 9 months ago who is convinced that
having two monitors is a good thing.  My boss got a second one and now
is converted.  He bought everyone in our department a second monitor
(these are all LCDs).  He didn't ask me if I wanted one - just a box
was in my office one day.

I've asked the adopters why they like / need it.  I haven't really
gotten a definitive list of benefits.  Most people like to have email
or the trouble-ticket system up all of the time so they can monitor
it.  I can agree to some extent.

OTH - I think that email is over-used and often just a distraction.  I
have no email alert pop-ups or sounds to interrupt me to new email and
I turn my email off frequently.  So, to me a second 'always on' email
screen would be distracting.

But, trying to be open-minded, I put the questions to the cluebies:

Who's using two monitors?
Why?
Are you more/less efficient with your work?

Thanks for comments.
Jeff