[clue-tech] two monitors - the new fad

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Thu Jun 1 15:10:56 MDT 2006

Jeff asked:

> But, trying to be open-minded, I put the questions to the cluebies:
>
> Who's using two monitors?
> Why?
> Are you more/less efficient with your work?

I "consolidated" several computers into a single workstation in my
office, and ended up with two identical 17" LCD monitors.  I figured it
would be a good chance to play with my XOrg settings and fire up two
displays, so I did it.

It was absolutely amazing.  I *love* having dual displays, and now I
really feel cramped on my laptop (which is "widescreen" at 1440x960)
because I'm so used to sliding windows from monitor to monitor as I
need them.  I'm much more efficient because I don't have to keep
alt-tabbing to switch windows.  My work involves web development, so
I'm often looking at a web page, then switching to my edit window, then
switching to the web page to refresh, etc.  Since both windows are big,
they eclipse each other on a standard screen-- but on a dual-head
display they're side-by-side.

It may not be for everyone, but for me it was one of those things that
once I did it, I never want to go back. :)

$0.02,
Jeff