[clue-tech] two monitors - the new fad

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 15:24:09 MDT 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:00:35 -0600
"Jeff Cann" <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Who's using two monitors?

I am, sort of. I used to use a dual-head setup, two 17" LCD monitors
with Xinerama. I found a Dell 20.1" widescreen on sale and switched to
that because it gave me almost as much screen space as the two 17"
LCDs.

I've recently started using my desktop and a laptop as a kind of
dual-head setup -- one with Ubuntu and the GNOME desktop, one with
Ubuntu and KDE, connected using Synergy -- so I get two monitors with
one keyboard and mouse, without needing to use a KVM switch.

I use the laptop for IRC, running Audacity to record phone interviews,
and so forth.

But the widescreen/dual screen aspect is pretty important for me. I
like to be able to have two applications up and running side by side,
like a browser and an xterm, or a message window and a compose window,
etc.

> Are you more/less efficient with your work?

It seems so. When I work on my ThinkPad, I feel *really* constricted by
the 1024x768 resolution.

Best,

Zonker
--