[clue-tech] two monitors - the new fad

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 16:39:25 MDT 2006

On 6/1/06, Jeff Cann <jccann at gmail.com> wrote:
> OTH - I think that email is over-used and often just a distraction.  I
> have no email alert pop-ups or sounds to interrupt me to new email and
> I turn my email off frequently.  So, to me a second 'always on' email
> screen would be distracting.

While lots of people use it for email, it doesn't *have* to be that way.

I like using double monitors or "big" monitors simply because it means
I can have lots of things running at the same time.

If I'm in "communicate" mode it means my inbox, my reply, and my IM
client are all next to each other and all visible.

If I'm in "work on this project" mode it means that my project plan is
next to emacs is next to a browser.  Sweetness.  Or, if I'm trying to
compare two web pages or two documents or...you get the idea.  Any
time you find yourself doing a quick "alt+tab" dance between programs
that's where a big monitor (or dual monitors) help.

Like all new technologies you have to tune it to your own
likes/dislikes - but in the end I think it's much better.

To me it's really a question of "more resolution or less resolution?".
 And to take that argumennt "ad infinitum" makes it obvious: Would you
be happier with 640x480 or with 1280x1024?  1280x1024, of course! But
why stop at just 1280x1024 if the $ and desktop-real-estate are not
constraints?

Greg