[clue-tech] two monitors - the new fad

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Thu Jun 1 23:19:30 MDT 2006

Jeff Cann wrote:
  > But, trying to be open-minded, I put the questions to the cluebies:
>
> Who's using two monitors?
> Why?
> Are you more/less efficient with your work?
>
> Thanks for comments.

Without reading everyone else's replies (and there seem to be many),
here's my input.

To start, I want to clear up a misconception.  Using dual-monitors is
not a "new fad".  I've been using dual-monitors since about 1998.  I
learned this from a friend who'd been using this setup for a while
before me.  As a "feature freak" and technophile, I was immediately hooked.

Now, to support the examples that will follow, I'll explain my setup.  I
run two identical 21" CRTs side-by-side (literally touching each other
to form as small a seam as possible between them).  I run both monitors
at 1600x1200x32bit, netting a single combined desktop size of
3200x1200x32bit.  My first dual-monitor video card was a Matrox; today I
use an ATI.

Dual-monitors double desktop size and improve work flow, so I do my best
to always have this setup whether at work or at home.  It's not
religious, it's advantageous and habitual.  I've been doing this for so
long that on a single-monitor machine, I literally feel unnecessarily
confined.

Some examples of benefits include (this is not an exhaustive list, but
this is what comes immediately to mind because I enjoy many of these
benefits every day):
* Larger graphics editing windows in floating-tile programs like Adobe
Photoshop; move the tiles to monitor 2 while maximizing the edit window
on monitor 1.  I work with very massive graphics files and this has
always been my most notable advantage over single-monitor users amongst
my graphics-editing associates.
* Less "flipping" between application windows improves typing
performance when writing from on-line documentation sources
(particularly complex syntax documentation that is otherwise difficult
to memorize).
* Less "flipping" also means that both the documentation window and the
target/source/document window stay maximized -- seeing more
verbiage/code without resizing/distorting the source or target windows.
* Keeping real-time communication windows visible at all times is a
serious advantage for those who need real-time communication, like me.
I utilize many forms of IM, IRC, VoiP, and e-mail.  Depending on the
source of the communication, immediate replies are often necessary, so
instant notification is imperative.
* When working on some of my client-server applications, it is extremely
helpful to have one RDP window consuming one monitor while running the
associated software from my local box.  This gives me instant, real-time
access to the inputs, behaviors, and outputs of both components.  This
is especially important when the server is located at a remote site.
* At home, it's nice to have the TV tuner's window (sometimes with a
video game system on the input) on a dedicated portion of one of my
monitors while still keeping my messaging windows visible AND still
working in maximized document windows on the other monitor, be it news
portals, school work, or work-brought-home (for people with A.D.H.D.,
this is a blessing).
* When troubleshooting especially elusive programming bugs, it is
extremely useful to have the debugger maximized on one monitor and the
application on another (code and debug output scrolls too fast, otherwise).
* Doing side-by-side comparisons of large images or documents is
relatively impractical with a single monitor.  I sometimes render color
shifts in my large graphics files and it is extremely useful to have a
pre-render image on one monitor and the post-processed result on the other.

HTH.

--
William Kimball, Jr.
http://www.kimballstuff.com/