[clue-tech] two monitors - the new fad

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Jun 2 00:06:10 MDT 2006

Ditto almost all of what everyone else said.  I'm getting very used
to having two monitors (LCD if possible!) for desktop machines.

I find another thing fairly true about my use of dual-monitors when I
have them (since I don't always, much of my time I'm on a laptop of
one sort or another) -- I tend to use the second monitor as a
"dumping ground" for either:

a) Things that I want to keep open like e-mail but don't want to
focus on right at the moment, including the usual three to four IM
sessions on-going throughout the day.

b) Things that I opened to remember to do something with or about
them, but am putting off until later in the day.  Usually including
the Outlook to-do/task list at work... just something there to remind
me "what's next" and "what's quick to deal with but not a priority
right now".

c) Monitoring software/applications.

d) Long-running compiles, scripts, or other "stuff" that's going to
take a while that I don't really need to pay attention to.  (On the
laptops I tend to use "screen" for this, but it's a toss-up on a
desktop machine with plenty of screen real-estate.  Sometimes my
fingers remember to type "screen", other times they don't.  Kinda
depends on how much "mousing" I'm doing at the time.  I try to learn
to keep my hands on the keyboard and use keyboard shortcuts for lots
of things.  One hyper-annoying problem with OSX "Tiger" is the change
Apple made to Mail.App where it no longer has a "read next message"
hot key.  I just whack the spacebar in Thunderbird to make my way
through all the new messages in 50 or more folders, already pre-
sorted by the mail server using Maildir under the hood and IMAP to
the client.)

e) Virtual machines - VMWare Player (or whatever version) to fire up
local virtual machines for various things, and/or a centalized
virtual server we use for logging into customer's VPN's.  Those
usually get a complete screen, leaving the other for "local" things.

Comments for some folks:

Zonker: The IBM T43's have dual-monitor support... it's great.  Add
the docking station and a monitor, and their USB keyboard and mouse.
They even support NumLock turned ON on the big external keyboard and
OFF on the laptop keyboard in case you cross-over between the two
accidentally via a recent BIOS update!  I thought that was nifty, and
haven't seen any other laptop manufacturer's doing that trick (yet).

Someone mentioned some of the software that allows you to share a
mouse/keyboard with multiple OS's -- but I've forgotten the name.
Are any of them supporting OSX?

It would be nifty to use the work laptop/desktop (the above-mentioned
T43 in a docking station) with two monitors and then slide on over to
the personal Mac laptop's screen without switching keyboard/mouse
when they're all on the same LAN.  Could even be used other LAN's
pretty effectively I suppose, too.  :-)

Nate