[clue-tech] pcmcia wireless 802.11g card?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Sat Jun 3 11:25:35 MDT 2006

Hi Jeff,

Jeff Cann wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm currently using a Linksys WPGXYZ under ndiswrapper.  It works great
> until you use WEP and then it proceeds to lock up my system.  Rather
> than spending more fruitless hours in vain hopes of getting the $30
> LinkSys card working, I'd rather buy something supported natively by the
> 2.6 kernel.
>
> Based on this page, the Prism54 driver seems like a decent choice for
> pcmcia wireless 802.11g replacement card"
>
> http://hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.802.11ag.html#Prism54

Any particular reason you aren't using Atheros hardware?  The chipsets
are very good and there are Linux drivers, madwifi, which are also very
good.  We've used them for WPA and WEP with no significant problems.

There are D-Link cards with Atheros chips in them.  Not sure about
Linksys.

You might have to compile the driver, not sure if it's in the 2.6 kernel
or not.  However I didn't find it hard to get working.

Hope this helps,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)