[clue-tech] Need new hardware (was two monitors)

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 12:17:49 MDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Jeff Cann <president at cluedenver.org> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
> > 3. Desktops and laptops are a POS. Most GX260-GX270-GX280 desktops and
> > many laptops are falling out like flies after 2 years in service.
> > Harddrives seem to last forever, but CPUs, Motherboards, Power
> > supplies, and of course capacitors are built with obselescence in
> > mind.
> I disagree on the laptop side.  I'm on my DELL second laptop at work.
> The first one was 'retired' after 3 years (now 4 years old), so I took
> it home and gave it to my wife.  My cat sits on it, my 3 year old son
> pounds on it.  Pretty much rock solid.

My personal laptop at work is also a Dell, and I've had no problems
with it, but the corporation has logged many, many failures out of the
many hundreds of deployed Dell laptops. Apparently this was an ongoing
problem that led to dropping the Dell contract. Interestingly enough,
most of our (the Engineering section)  GX.... desktop faiures have
cropped up in the past 3 months, long after the contract change.

The HP boxes are too new to comment, but, alas, the desktops are
equipped with a POS ATI video card,

--
Collins Richey