[clue-tech] Need new hardware (was two monitors)

Jeff Cann president at cluedenver.org
Sat Jun 3 08:37:32 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> 3. Desktops and laptops are a POS. Most GX260-GX270-GX280 desktops and
> many laptops are falling out like flies after 2 years in service.
> Harddrives seem to last forever, but CPUs, Motherboards, Power
> supplies, and of course capacitors are built with obselescence in
> mind.
I disagree on the laptop side.  I'm on my DELL second laptop at work.
The first one was 'retired' after 3 years (now 4 years old), so I took
it home and gave it to my wife.  My cat sits on it, my 3 year old son
pounds on it.  Pretty much rock solid.

My 'new' work laptop is a Latitude 610.  It seems equally solid, but is
only a year old.  So far so good.  The main difference between the two
is P4 vs Centrino.  The Centrino (610) BIOS boots *way* faster than the P4.

The other laptop I have is an IBM ThinkPad A20.  I've had it for at
least 4 years (bought it used from another CLUEbie).  It's a P3.  That
think is a tank.  I've dropped it from 3 feet, used it a lot on the road
and I still use it every day.  Thinkpads seem to be supported under
Linux fairly well and other Think Pad users I've talked to love them.

So, if you don't want DELL laptops and can afford an IBM, go with the
IBM ThinkPad

Jeff