[clue-tech] Running a laptop 24/7 --- possible problems

Keith Hellman khellman at mcprogramming.com
Sun Jun 4 18:13:31 MDT 2006

On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 05:11:59AM -0600, bof wrote:
> I am wondering what problems this might cause for the laptop. Anyone
> else leaving their laptop on all the time care to share problems that
> they have or can anticipate?

I've always left my laptops on as much as possible, and I've never
noticed any greater hardware attrition than other people describe.

If anything, I've noticed that I get pretty poor battery performance
over the lifetime of the machine.  I've heard people say your supposed
to drain over-the-counter rechargable batteries (AAA, AA, etc)
completely before recharging them.  So with my latest laptop ($500 HP
Pavilion ze2000, the first *new* laptop I've had for 12 or so years...),
I've started letting the battery drain completely about once a week and
then charge it back up.  If this works, I'll have a grand N of 1 for my
notebook-battery study :^)

Incidently, the first notebook I ever had (Toshiba Satellite Pro,
Pentium I, 75 MHz, circa 1992 or '93) is still chugging away in my
basement running my lawn and drip sprinkler system.  Its LCD crapped out
but it's still a rock-steady box (it'd be almost perfect if I replaced
the long-dead clock battery).

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
khellman at mcprogramming.com                from disclaimer import standard

"cjOr proWe vbCould vbSettle prpFor noEnglish prpIn adjHungarian
noNotation :-)"

-- noPeter [Dr. Dobb's Python-URL, December 3, 2003]