[clue-tech] Running a laptop 24/7 --- possible problems

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Jun 4 18:36:38 MDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 05:11 -0600, bof wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I bought a laptop to replace my aging desktop, which I tended to leave
> on 24/7.
>
> I am wondering what problems this might cause for the laptop. Anyone
> else leaving their laptop on all the time care to share problems that
> they have or can anticipate?

How about suspending it?  I have ACPI S3 working nicely on my current
ThinkPad T42p:

  http://eh3.com/thinkpad_T42p.html

and its very convenient to simply open the lid and be right back where
you left it.  The machine goes through 3+ suspend/resume cycles per day
(the commute to/from work plus suspended overnight) and I routinely get
30+ day uptimes.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
emails:  eh3 at mit.edu                ed at eh3.com
phone:   617-253-0098
fax:     617-253-4464