[clue-tech] Anyone know of a good affordable linux compatible ups?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Jun 5 23:27:36 MDT 2006

> Hi, I am looking for a linux compatible UPS...basically one that will in the
> presence of loss power, will be able to let the server shutdown
> cleanly...the server has 3 power supplies, each at 550 watts so I think it
> constantly uses a total of 1650 watts (it's a HP NetServer LH3R)...would
> like a affordable yet reliable UPS...anyone got any recommendations? Thanks!

Most APC UPSes are Linux compatible thanks to acpupsd.  It's a
bit of a pain to configure but works fine.

As for affordable, the inverter and battery are mainly what you're
interested in.  The UPSes are sold by inverter capacity, but if
you have a 400W UPS and hook up a full computer system to it (say,
PC, monitor, inkjet printer) you will get maybe 3-5 minutes of
runtime if the power fails.

On the other hand, if you have a 400W UPS and you modify it to
connect the inverter/charger to a large 12V marine battery, then
you could have an hour or more of runtime.  Use heavy gauge wire
and nice connectors OK?  We don't want any fires.  If you don't
know what you're doing, have an electrician wire it up for you.

I have APC Smart-UPS 700 UPSes with two marine batteries each,
and the longest power failure I've had has been 4 hours and the
UPSes did not die, so I'm not exactly sure how long they will
last.  Load is about 50% of the inverter capacity, according to
the LED bargraph on the front panel, with one server connected.

The SU700 is a 24V internal of course, which requires two 12V
marine batteries wired in series.  Don't use car batteries, you
have to have the deep cycle capacity.  Marine gel cells are good
but expensive, say $150 each.

You can probably get free used UPSes because the battery is bad,
so just buy a nice big new battery and the old UPS should be in
good shape.  Make sure you properly recycle the old battery. :)

HTH,
Jim

PS Example status output from SU700:

host: localhost
MODEL: SMART-UPS 700
SERIAL: ws9830002590
STATUS: OL
UTILITY: 120.9
BATTPCT: 100.0
ACFREQ: 60.00
LOADPCT: 045.2
BATTVOLT: 27.60
OUTVOLT: 120.9
UPSTEMP: 042.7
UPSIDENT: UPS_IDEN
LOWXFER: 103
HIGHXFER: 132
WAKEDELAY: 000
LINESENS: H
GRACEDELAY: 020
RTHRESH: 00
ALRMDEL: 0
BATTDATE: 07/21/98
MFR: APC

I'm sure the UPSTEMP is incorrect.  Also bad is that the selftest
causes a power failure notification event.  It would be nice if
it could do its selftest without me getting paged that the power
has failed and then come back 5 seconds later.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/