[clue-tech] trying to use mount samba shares under FC 5

Ski Dawg skidawg at skidawg.org
Mon Jun 19 18:48:01 MDT 2006

Hello all,

I am trying to set up a Fedora Core 5 system. On that system I need to
be able to mount a exported share from a Windows XP box as a regular
user. I used to use samba without any problems, but since FC5 dropped
samba support (in favor is CIFS, so no smbmount or smbumount), I am
trying to get it to work using CIFS.

If I am root, I can mount this directory, but then only root can access
it. I checked the /sbin/mount.cifs and /sbin/umount.cifs files and they
already have setuid configured:
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 23196 Mar 30 15:29 /sbin/mount.cifs
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 10644 Mar 30 15:29 /sbin/umount.cifs

Also, I am not able to mount the remote share, again as a regular user,
using an fstab entry.
//server/dir  /mnt/server  cifs  noauto,rw,users,credentials=<file>  0 0

Any thoughts about why I can mount this, using command line or fstab, as
a regular user?
--
Doug

Random Thought:
The chat program is in public domain. This is not the GNU public license. If
it breaks then you get to keep both pieces.
(Copyright notice for the chat program)