[clue-tech] Shame shame [OT - why GPL?]

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 20:47:34 MDT 2006

On 6/18/06, Jeff Cann <president at cluedenver.org> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>
> <snip of Collins' opine>
> > In less sarcastic mode: I have no objection to the presence of GPL
> > software. We all benefit from it greatly. By the same token, I have no
> > objection to non GPL software. If you build a better mousetrap (GPL or
> > otherwise), the world will beat a pathway to your door, and you won't
> > need to cooerce manufacturers and users a la M$.
>
> Collins,
>
> I don't want to start an OT flame war, but just to provide the
> alternative point of view to your sarcasm regarding 'evil' modules.
> Some of us [me at least] do not agree with the 'build a better
> mousetrap' analogy because I/we value intrinsic freedoms that we retain
> by using GPL software.
>
> Further, some companies [Netscape, e.g.,] did build a better mousetrap
> [Navigator] and were crushed by a certain proprietary software rival.  I
> think you know to whom I refer.  My point is that outside our 'best
> engineer wins' mindset [so prevalent in our crowd of computer guys],
> there is an entirely different game being played, with an entirely
> different set of rules.  Rather than being hosed by those rules, the GPL
> invented another set.  Kinda clever if you think about it:  can't win
> the proprietary software game?  Invent a new game and win that instead.
> But, let me direct you to the guy who was motivated enough to do
> something about it:
>
>  + http://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html
>
> Enjoy another [equally biased] point of view :)

No flame war intended or starting. I'm in the very small minority who
tolerate the GPL to enjoy FOSS software, especially Linux. I fully
understand most of the technicalities of the GPL, but I much prefer
some of the more flexible licenses such as BSD. When faced with
absolutes (of most any variety), I tend to wax sarcastic.

--
Collins Richey