[clue-tech] Shame shame

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Jun 17 11:03:01 MDT 2006

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 09:04:59 -0600
Collins Richey wrote:

> In my case VMware Workstaion is a free gift from the presentation -
> total cost $0.0, so cost is not a decision point. OTOH, after reading
> the fine print, VMware server only supports a rather limited set of
> Linux distros including just for grins an ancient version of Ubuntu
> (5.05). Since I'm on 6.06 it doesn't look that attractive for my main
> machine.

Well, I wouldn't be too concerned with that, unless you're thinking about
enterprise usage. When you setup a machine, the choices drop-down has
"Other 2.4 Linux" and "Other 2.6 Linux", as well as "Other Linux". My
guess is that "support" refers to an official position re. what distros
you can get help with. Which makes some sense, when you think about it
from their point of view. Maintaining a knowledge base would quickly get
out of control otherwise. And when you think about how their virtual
environment presents a "device" to the OS, it makes some sense,
particularly if the "device" is something which wasn't around when the 2.0
kernel was current.

Dang. it's already 11:00. I gotta get going. But as I mentioned, I had no
trouble running DSL -- a Knoppix variant using a 2.4 kernel.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/