[clue-tech] Libraries, run-time linking, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and ld.so.conf

Matt Gushee matt at gushee.net
Fri Mar 3 12:04:00 MST 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:

> I also tried, without success, to put Mozilla's lib directory into the
> default search path by creating a mozilla file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ and
> then running ldconfig. I guess I misunderstand the workings of ld.so.conf
> and ldconfig.  Not surprising, considered my limited experience with
> developing dynamically linked software under Linux.

ldconfig shouldn't be that hard. My suspicion about this that your
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/mozilla file isn't getting included. I've never had a
system with that directory, so I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.
Is there some kind of include directive in the main ld.so.conf file that
causes the files to be read at runtime? Or perhaps you're supposed to
run a script to generate /etc/ld.so.conf from the files in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/.

--
Matt Gushee
The Reluctant Geek: http://matt.gushee.net/rg/