[clue-tech] Libraries, run-time linking, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and ld.so.conf

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Mar 3 12:29:10 MST 2006

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> The upgrade to FC4 was nearly painless. However, I've run smack into a
> problem which I ran into a while back when attemptiing to upgrade just
> Mozilla and Galeon. For whatever reasons (parameters set by the guy who
> built the Galeon RPM I used?) Galeon 2.x doesn't know about
> /usr/lib/mozilla... library files, and so will fail, complaining that it
> can't find libgtkembedmoz. The short workaround is to invoke it thusly:
>
>   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.8 galeon
>
> or, put symbolic links in /usr/lib to the so files in
> /usr/lib/mozila{version} (obviously, the above command line needs correct
> versioning as well, when things chage).
>
> I also tried, without success, to put Mozilla's lib directory into the
> default search path by creating a mozilla file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ and
> then running ldconfig. I guess I misunderstand the workings of ld.so.conf
> and ldconfig. Not surprising, considered my limited experience with
> developing dynamically linked software under Linux.

ldconfig should find anything in /usr/lib and put it in the cache.  You
can run it with -v to see if it processes the right directory (and any
links it makes).

This (a ways down):

http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/BugReport2005x08x04x220823

seems to indicate that files in ld.so.conf.d should end in .conf (and
presumably contain paths the same way ld.so.conf does).

Maybe ldd galeon shows a hint?  Other than the way it is built I don't
think the packager has much influence on where libraries are found.

Aside from your cache not actually being updated, or another path with
the right file ahead of the 1.7.8 one I don't have any guesses.  But
using ldconfig is the right direction.