[clue-tech] RAID-0 & LVM

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 20:50:01 MST 2006

Hello,

RAID-0 and LVM

Does one or the other compromise the advantages of
either?

I am rebuilding a box that went haywire. I have
salvaged critical data on tape. Now I am thinking
about rebuilding it. Originally it was a Fedora Core 4
using software RAID-1. The funny thing was that it
seems to be filesystem curruption or more likely a
particular file that I haven't tracked down, that
started causing problems rather than disk failure...
ie the problems were mirrored.

Anywho, I am toying with two possible rebuild
scenarios.

1)Build the system on one disk using LVM and later
allocate the second disk thru the LVM scheme of
things.

2) At install RAID-0 the two disks and LVM over them.

I like the idea of IO performance offerred with
RAID-0, but wonder if that might become moot when
coating it with LVM (speaking of scenario 2) ...
hmm....

-Mike