[clue-tech] RAID-0 & LVM

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Mar 11 10:55:17 MST 2006

You might get better responses if you didn't switch subjects in the
middle of a thread.  And if you trimmed your posts.  That's just me and
I apologize for being cranky (Collins would say curmudgeonly) enough to
say anything.

> --- mike havlicek <mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> RAID-0 and LVM
>>
>> Does one or the other compromise the advantages of
>> either?

No.  But I'd guess both is more overhead than either.  You should test
it and see.

>> I am rebuilding a box that went haywire.
[...]
>> The funny thing was that it seems to be filesystem curruption or
>> more likely a particular file that I haven't tracked down, that
>> started causing problems rather than disk failure... ie the
>> problems were mirrored.

I've never seen haywire require rebuilding (where haywire != hareware
failure).

[...]
> Jumping back a step ... since /boot cannot live on an
> LVM partition -> That makes the drivespace unequal...hmm

It can.  Been there, done that, doing it now.  (Well, I don't ever make
a /boot partition so it's really / that is on the LVM.  Same difference.
  And / on LVM on RAID-1 works too.)