[clue-tech] ifconfig display bug? (too many interfaces)

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Thu Mar 16 10:42:32 MST 2006

Hi CLUEbies,

Thanks Dave for the response and ideas.

David L. Anselmi wrote:

> Jim Ockers wrote:
> [...]
> > I'm inclined to think this is a display bug in ifconfig, where
> > it's using the wrong kind of counter like an ASCII less-than
> > comparison or something.
>
> Sounds like a good bet to me.  Or perhaps it's traversing a data
> structure wrong (the no counters listing seems like what you'd get for
> IP aliases so it isn't too surprising).
>
> > Any ideas?  Is there anyone out there with 11 or more ethernet
> > cards in the system, or 11 or more dial-up ports?  Does ifconfig work
> > properly for you?
> >
> > This is Red Hat 7.2 with net-tools 1.60:
>
> Well, you can guess the obvious idea.  One of the ways Free software has
> spoiled me is not to care much about old code.

You're right, the problem is resolved in a newer version of net-tools.

I tried net-tools-1.60-62 and ifconfig displays each interface only
once.  With net-tools-1.60-3 (default RH72) ifconfig displays the ppp1-ppp10
interfaces a second time.

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/