[clue-tech] Using procmail to improve technical content of the list

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Sat Mar 11 17:16:21 MST 2006

Hi CLUEbies,

In the spirit of keeping things on this list of a technical nature
here is how to use procmail to filter out messages from people who
use the clue-tech technical list for non-technical purposes.

:)

These are just for example, of course everyone will have their own
list of people whose messages they'd rather not read.  I actually
miss the days of USENET and the killfile..

Anyway you could add these lines or something similar to your
.procmailrc:

:0:
* ^From:.*<mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com>
/dev/null

:0:
* ^From:.*<anselmi at anselmi.us>
/dev/null

(I think those would work, haven't tried them myself, YMMV, and
this is just an example anyway.)

I find procmail to be a very useful if cantankerous tool for basic
mail filtering.  "man 5 procmailrc" gets you the man page but even
with that explanation it can be difficult to figure out exactly how
to do whatever it is you want to do.

Speaking of mail filtering I'd like to start a discussion of spam
filtering techniques.  I'll start a new thread for that...

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/