[clue-tech] SATA and older boxes

Jack Parker jack.parker4 at verizon.net
Thu Mar 16 06:53:09 MST 2006

I've been tearing my hair out trying to get some SATA WD80GBs to work on a
PIII.  Finally picked up a Startech IDE to Serial bridge.  Made the SATAs
look like IDEs.  Not sure of the performance hit I'm taking (I haven't done
a bonnie yet), but they work seamlessly and are ripping right along compared
to the older slower IDE drive.

Essentially this is a card which plugs into an IDE motherboard slot, sits up
about 2 inches and gives you two SATA ports on the top - as well as a power
coupling to drive the card.  It converts the IDE commands to SATA for the
drive.

Downside - according to the advert, it claims to allow you to support both
IDE and SATA at the same time - sure, provided you have an extra IDE slot
that is unused.

Any thoughts on what I should have done?

j.