[clue-tech] IDE hard drive duplicator with Linux support?

Fri Mar 17 16:28:25 MST 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:26:20 -0700 (MST), Jim Ockers wrote
> Hi Dave,
>
> > Before I start researching a deeper answer, I'll ask two shallow questions:
> >
> >  1. Have you looked at partimage as the software?
>
> No, thanks for the tip.

You're welcome.  I think you'll find it's egg zack lee what you're looking for.

> >  2. Have you looked at USB 2.0 or FireWire B as the host-side bus?
>
> We can't change the hardware, the installed base of IDE is
> really huge and the drives are interchangeable and in
> removable drive trays.
>
> That said, is there some way we could make use of Firewire B
> to write data to IDE drives?  I don't know too much about
> firewire.

That's what I meant.  For $50 or less, you should be able to get a FireWire B box that
accepts a standard ATA drive.  You yank out the tiny inadequate little data-cable and
put in a normal-sized one, then you have a hot-plug rig for PATA drives. (not really,
but good enough for most intents and purposes)

> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> --
> Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)