[clue-tech] IDE hard drive duplicator with Linux support?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Mar 21 21:52:41 MST 2006

Hi David,

> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 22:26:20 -0700 (MST), Jim Ockers wrote
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > > Before I start researching a deeper answer, I'll ask two shallow questions:
> > >
> > >  1. Have you looked at partimage as the software?
> >
> > No, thanks for the tip.
>
> You're welcome.  I think you'll find it's egg zack lee what you're looking for.

It seems partimage doesn't support LVM partitions intelligently.
That is, it doesn't find the filesystems on the virtual disks
within.  The partition type is 0x8e IIRC, but inside are some
other "block" "devices" provided by the volume mapper which can
be mounted by VFS.

I read the FAQ and nothing's said about LVM, and lots of people
on the forums are asking about it and why it's not supported...
(Same with RAID, etc.)

Of course, nothing supports LVM partitions intelligently except
for LVM, which is the way we've been duplicating the disks now.
We might just bite the bullet and get a big IDE drive duplicator
and hope for the best...

Anyway thanks for the tips.

Jim

--