[clue-tech] has anyone use Subversion and if so, comments ?

J. Joseph Benavidez joseph.benavidez at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 23:24:41 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 22:10 -0700, Gus Salavatore Calabrese wrote:
> I have heard that Subversion is intended to be a better replacement
> for CVS.
>
> Gus

I had used CVS for 7 years and switched to svn for my last couple jobs,
so I've used svn for the last year and a half or so.

Subversion just seems to flow better, I think. Some highlights:
- recursion is assumed for commands (eg useful for adding new files)
- there's an svn mv command, so, as in our case, we don't fear the
possibility of rearranging files and/or directories (and that really
helps for us java programmers when we need to change package
hierarchies)
- svnmerge[1] is a nice tool for keeping track of merges
- there's a great online book[2] available
- if you're familiar with cvsweb, there's an svnweb equivalent
  that looks the same

Alas, I had fallen in love with tkcvs for CVS, but there's no subversion
equivalent. I haven't found a gui that's as satisfying, but then I don't
spend much time looking because I don't mind the command line.

I should note that I'm a user of svn and have not set it up from
scratch...

In my last job at Red Hat, we did have some stability issues with the
version of subversion we were using. (There was some problem with the
backing db falling over, but the problem was recoverable.) At my current
job we haven't had any problems... I'm at subversion-1.2.3-2.1 on fc4.

Hope that helps...

j.joseph

[1]http://www.dellroad.org/svnmerge/index
[2]http://svnbook.red-bean.com/