[clue-tech] OT: Ethernet Bridges

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon May 1 10:40:05 MDT 2006

black at clapthreetimes.com wrote:
> Not sure if anyone else has been having the same problem as me, but I have
> a WRT54G (orignal, not the "S", "L", etc) and the reliability is right on
> par with a Qwest Actiontec dsl modem.
>
> I have to reset the WRT54G a few times a week. This is with stock firmware
> as well as the custom dd-wrtg stuff. While  fun, these units in my opinion
> lack any sort of reliability. You may want to avoid putting anything
> behind them that needs to work consistently.
>
> They seem to have a large hobbyist following, but I won't buy another.

I have three of these and haven't had many issues.  One thing I have
noticed though is that running the G version with only 16M of RAM you'll
get better stability by disabling any unnecessary services.  Shutting
off the HTTPS daemon for example saves almost 1M of memory and
considering these things typically run with only 1-2M of free memory it
can make quite a difference.
-Ken