[clue-tech] OT: Ethernet Bridges

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon May 1 16:25:15 MDT 2006

black at clapthreetimes.com wrote:
> Not sure if anyone else has been having the same problem as me, but I have
> a WRT54G (orignal, not the "S", "L", etc) and the reliability is right on
> par with a Qwest Actiontec dsl modem.
>
> I have to reset the WRT54G a few times a week. This is with stock firmware
> as well as the custom dd-wrtg stuff. While  fun, these units in my opinion
> lack any sort of reliability. You may want to avoid putting anything
> behind them that needs to work consistently.
>
> They seem to have a large hobbyist following, but I won't buy another.

I don't have the "G", I have a "GS" with the larger RAM, and don't have
this problem, ever.

With DD-WRT on it, I haven't rebooted it for any performance issues.

Definitely never a "few times a week".  This sounds like something else
wrong.

I did have to think and scratch my head a bit at some MTU size issues --
the DD-WRT being a mixture of a bridge with QoS tagging turned on and
then routing to a DSL modem using PPPoA.

I had to lower my MTU on the external interface on the Linksys; things
were MUCH happier after that for ALL connected clients, both wired and
wireless, and RAM utilization was much better and consistent overall.

(Be careful you're not blaming the device if you have an underlying
network engineering problem that is eating the device's RAM.)

Nate