[clue-tech] OT: Ethernet Bridges

J. Joseph Benavidez joseph.benavidez at gmail.com
Mon May 1 11:48:08 MDT 2006

fwiw, i use the d-link 2100APs http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=292 as
wireless bridges (which is the term i'm used to for wifi-enabling a
wired device, though d-link appears to refer to them as wireless
clients).

note, it's "108Mps" which, when it works, is great, but I had problems
with range and interference from wifi neighbors. in just plain G mode,
it works fine.

i've got 2 of these... one to wifi-enable a wired-only squeezebox 1, and
one to wifi-enable a tivo that uses a usb-ethernet converter.

there's also a linksys version of this with their WET54G.
http://tinyurl.com/kc9s5

the price range for these devices appear to be in the mid-$80s.

i am seeing a lot of references to "wds bridging" in cheaper products,
which appears to be different, especially in that i equate "wds" with
"halving of throughput".
see http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2004/04/14/how_to_wds_bridge/

hope that helps,

j.joseph