[clue-tech] CompUSA wireless

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue May 2 01:03:45 MDT 2006

Hex Star wrote:

> Note that D-Link has quite a bad reputation, and IMO their products
> are so bad that I really feel they should not even be in the
> networking business...if you bought their D-Link wireless USB adapter
> I'd return it for a refund asap and buy an alternative USB wireless
> adapter such as a Linksys one, why (or even better, a Belkin wireless
> bridge)? Simple, the driver for the USB adapter is one I've had first
> hand experience with, I've tried their driver both on MacOS X and
> Windows XP, both OSes for which they claim compatibility with however
> on neither of those OSes did their driver ever keep the USB adapter
> working for more then 2 minutes at which point sometimes taking the
> adapter out and plugging it back in would make it work for another 2
> minutes and more often I would have to restart for the dang thing to
> work again...I called D-Link and the support was of no help other then
> they begged me not to return the D-Link device for a refund and tried
> to bribe me with free lifetime support (and that would do me good when
> I don't have a working device and they have no solution how? ;-)
> )...so I returned it, purchased a Belkin wireless bridge and am happy
> ever since. Also note that a friend of mine who also purchased the
> D-Link USB device had the same experience, and in addition I was at a
> computer camp who used a D-Link router to power one of the
> classrooms...the thing failed almost instantly and every time had to
> be reconfigured and rebooted just to fail again. So to sum it all up,
> just stay clear away from D-Link networking products.

I've had a different experience--I've had better success with D-Link
than Belkin.  I pretty much hate Belkin now.  But it probably has to do
with when and how I buy my stuff.  I usually buy stuff on the cheap and
don't mind if that means I need to use ndiswrapper to run it.  I
personally like my d-link router's interface and options better than the
linksys my parents spent a lot more money on.  I don't know what model
they have though.