[clue-tech] CompUSA wireless

Hex Star hexstar at gmail.com
Mon May 1 23:40:08 MDT 2006

Note that D-Link has quite a bad reputation, and IMO their products are so
bad that I really feel they should not even be in the networking
business...if you bought their D-Link wireless USB adapter I'd return it for
a refund asap and buy an alternative USB wireless adapter such as a Linksys
one, why (or even better, a Belkin wireless bridge)? Simple, the driver for
the USB adapter is one I've had first hand experience with, I've tried their
driver both on MacOS X and Windows XP, both OSes for which they claim
compatibility with however on neither of those OSes did their driver ever
keep the USB adapter working for more then 2 minutes at which point
sometimes taking the adapter out and plugging it back in would make it work
for another 2 minutes and more often I would have to restart for the dang
thing to work again...I called D-Link and the support was of no help other
then they begged me not to return the D-Link device for a refund and tried
to bribe me with free lifetime support (and that would do me good when I
don't have a working device and they have no solution how? ;-) )...so I
returned it, purchased a Belkin wireless bridge and am happy ever since.
Also note that a friend of mine who also purchased the D-Link USB device had
the same experience, and in addition I was at a computer camp who used a
D-Link router to power one of the classrooms...the thing failed almost
instantly and every time had to be reconfigured and rebooted just to fail
again. So to sum it all up, just stay clear away from D-Link networking
products.