[clue-tech] mail works some of the time

William wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com
Thu May 4 13:58:24 MDT 2006

Greg Knaddison wrote:

> On 5/4/06, William <wlist-clue at kimballstuff.com> wrote:
>
>> Providing details on "does not work" would be a great start.  What is
>> telling you that failure is occurring (your app/mail server or theirs)?
>> How is it telling you (what is the message/condition)?
>
> Sorry about that - Mail is sent by the script on the server to
> multiple people and some people get the email and other people
> (including me) don't get the email.

Delays in delivery can be caused by a near-unbounded number of reasons.
Those recipients may still receive the message at some point, unless you
have received bounces.  Troubleshooting requires an error condition that
can be traced.

>> Do you have log
>> captures that illustrate the failure?
>
> I don't have direct access to the server, but I could ask for log file
> snippets if that would be useful.  What log files/snippets would be
> useful?

The outbound mail server's log will be most informative.  The problem is
too vague so far to make an educated guess at a solution.  We need to
know for sure whether the messages are hitting the outbound server, at
all (may be getting denied at this initial contact due to a problem with
your app server or for any policy reason).  Then, we need to see the
transcripts of communication between the outbound server and the
receiving destination servers (to identify possible connectivity,
black-list, or other policy problems).  Once we have a solid error
message, we can make recommendations.