[clue-tech] Crafts website hacked by terrorists - 05/07/06 - The Detroit News

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Tue May 9 06:59:07 MDT 2006

On 05-09 07:24, black at clapthreetimes.com wrote:
> I love it. This sounds like another mom and pop web operation that wasn't
> patched or monitored and got hacked by a simple script kiddie exploit.
> Because there were muslim writings on it advocating jihad instead of warez
> or porn, it's an international incident and their techniques are "very
> sophisticated."
>
> It took a lot of words for the DBI to say they probably won't do anything
> about it, and I agree with them. On the other hand Rita Katz, director of
> the Search for International Terrorist Entities, could use some
> perspective.

Ugh. It's really sad that even though Internet usage has spread, education
about computers, including folks in the media, is very, very poor.

This is like some random BBS in the 80's carrying the text from The
Anarchist Cookbook.  BFD.

They don't bother to explain that this sort of thing happens all the time
- in fact, it happened at two places I've worked where machines that were
  public facing didn't get enough admin attention, and thus were exploited
and set up for anon ftp, and anything could have been on there, including
kiddie porn or the unabomber manifesto, etc. Our admins didn't make a
national incident out of it, the files were deleted, and the OS was either
patched or reinstalled and patched.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Show me a man who is a good loser and I'll show you a man who is playing golf
with his boss.