[clue-tech] CompUSA wireless

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed May 10 17:15:14 MDT 2006

Adam bultman wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11g#802.11g
>

> 54Mbit, if you're close. Assuming you have 100Mbit ethernet, it's half
> as fast as your ethernet.  Although I've found that I never get anywhere
> near what is 'advertised' in wireless connections. My 802.11b gets me
> MAYBE 5 Mbit if I use WEP.   While this might not be the same for g, I
> wouldn't count on full speed :-/
>
> Adam

I've also seen slower (much slower) than 54Mb/s in the real-world.

Part of the reason is that this is 54Mb/s HALF-duplex, of course.  And
all the 802.11 devices on a particular network share the RF "bitpipe",
so to speak.  One at a time... one at a time...

Also if you mix 802.11b and 802.11g devices, the access point is
handling that by dropping to b speeds for transmissions to b clients,
and using the higher speed for g clients... so things get even slower.
There's measurable overhead caused by that -- thus the setting that's
available in the setup screens of most g-capable routers that allows you
to lock out b clients and run "g-only".

Nate