[clue-tech] RedHat/CentOS version 5

Jeff Cann jccann at gmail.com
Thu May 11 17:56:13 MDT 2006

Mike Staver wrote:
> Does anybody know when RedHat Enterprise 5.X is due out? I ask because
> I use CentOS a lot, and the biggest gripe I have is that there is no
> solid upgrade option from version 3.x to 4.x without breaking a lot of
> things.  I have a machine that's running 3.x right now, and it's a DNS
> server, web server, mail server, file server, among other things.  I
> have a lot of users on it, and I would hate to blow it away and
> reconfigure everything with version 4.x only to have version 5 come
> out soon after.
Enterprise 4 was released in March, 2005.  Supposedly the RHAT stance on
enterprise versions is to release less frequently.  I would expect it to
happen this year.  I did see this link:

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?NewsID=5565

It indicates:

" Red Hat has announced the beta release of RH Enterprise Linux 5
(RHEL5), which will now include virtualisation. ... In terms of real
world deployment, a Red Hat spokesman said that a number of customers
were already beta testing the OS, but that he didn't expect the release
of RHEL5 before the end of 2006. Pricing has yet to be determined."

HTH
Jeff