[clue-tech] RedHat/CentOS version 5

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier xonker at gmail.com
Thu May 11 22:48:46 MDT 2006

On 5/11/06, Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know when RedHat Enterprise 5.X is due out?

End of 2006, according to this press release:
http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2006/virtualization.html

"In the summer of 2006, Red Hat will make Virtualization Migration and
Assessment Services available along with an Enterprise Virtualization
beta. Red Hat Enterprise Linux v. 5, scheduled for general
availability by the end of 2006, will feature fully integrated
virtualization."

So -- if you want to use RHEL5/CentOS 5, it'll be towards the end of this year.

If you're a die-hard RPM/Red Hat user, stick with that. I'd recommend,
though, taking a look at Ubuntu Dapper -- the final release is
supposed to be June 1-ish, but the betas have been stable for some
time.

The server release of Dapper is supposed to be supported for five
years, and I would bet a substantial sum of money that when the five
year mark hits, it won't be difficult to do a dist-upgrade between
Dapper and the next "enterprise" release of Ubuntu.

Good luck, either way.

Best,

Zonker
--