[clue-tech] RedHat/CentOS version 5

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu May 11 23:01:21 MDT 2006

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> writes:

Mike> Does anybody know when RedHat Enterprise 5.X is due out? I ask

Not sure... I would guess in the fall sometime.

Mike> because I use CentOS a lot, and the biggest gripe I have is that
Mike> there is no solid upgrade option from version 3.x to 4.x without
Mike> breaking a lot of things. I have a machine that's running 3.x

Oh? what breaks?

I have upgraded centos 3.x to 4.x machines without too much trouble.
You of course want to have good backups and such.

Mike> right now, and it's a DNS server, web server, mail server, file
Mike> server, among other things.  I have a lot of users on it, and I
Mike> would hate to blow it away and reconfigure everything with
Mike> version 4.x only to have version 5 come out soon after.  --

Yeah, you can always make a backup, setup that backup on another box
and do the upgrade and see what breaks.

kevin