[clue-tech] RedHat/CentOS version 5

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu May 11 23:09:46 MDT 2006

David> Mike Staver wrote:
>> Does anybody know when RedHat Enterprise 5.X is due out? I ask
>> because I use CentOS a lot, and the biggest gripe I have is that
>> there is no solid upgrade option from version 3.x to 4.x without
>> breaking a lot of things.

David> Did CentOS add that feature or Red Hat?

Not sure. I have upgraded centos 3 to 4 without much issue.

David> What's the support lifespan for RHE?  If they support version 4
David> for 5 years (or whatever) then you have 5 years from its
David> release before you have to upgrade regardless when version 5
David> comes out.

It's 7 years of support + 3 more of security IIRC.

David> I seem to remember RH saying they wanted an 18 month or 2 year
David> release cycle (stability for their customers).

Yeah, 18 months on RHEL:

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

David> If infrequent, mass upgrades are painful you might consider
David> Debian testing.  I upgrade a few packages every month and never
David> need to do a complete upgrade[1].  Honestly I think that the
David> typical major upgrade every few years (ala RH, Sun, Microsoft)
David> is obsolete.  Just need to find the time to write the white
David> paper.

Debian testing does break things occasionally... and there is large
amounts of updates always flowing through. Don't get me wrong, Debian
is fine, but the last thing most people want in production is lots of
changes.

David>   1. Yes these are production systems, if low budget.  They
David> only run stock Debian packages so I don't do any pre-upgrade
David> testing except to look at the upgrade list and make sure
David> nothing is breaking.  If they did run 3rd party, more
David> complicated apps I think I'd do the same thing.  But I'd have
David> the budget for a test machine to experiment on.

Guess it depends on what you mean by production. ;)

kevin