[clue-tech] RedHat/CentOS version 5

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Fri May 12 10:46:41 MDT 2006

In regards to questions about what breaks, nobody seems to specifically
say.

http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=27

After reading that, I'm kind of afraid to do it. Obviously I'll make
backups, etc, etc.  The one thing I'm still having problems with is my
password file. I can backup everything else on the system, but I had a
problem a while back where I could try to unshadow the /etc/passwd file,
and the process would never complete.  It would just hang, for days at a
time if I would let it.  I suppose I could make all my users pick new
passwords, but that would make people angry I think.  Also, I use RedHat
based systems because I tend to use ColdFusion 7 MX on a lot of the
linux systems I have. Think Macromedia/Adobe just support Suse and
RedHat systems if I'm not mistaken.  I dislike Suse a great deal, so
RedHat it is for me.