[clue-tech] Great installfest today

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun May 14 12:00:43 MDT 2006

Collins Richey wrote:
> Those of you who missed out, eat your hearts out!

Yeah, I had a great time.  Thanks everyone for coming, we had a nice mix
of experience, architectures, and objectives.

What was the final word on Mike's dual PIII system?  I heard him say he
had SMP running for a record time yesterday but I didn't hear what fixed
(or at least helped) with his lockup problem.

[...]
> From a Kubuntu (Dapper 6.06) viewpoint, Etch is just a little
> downlevel for the packages I am accustomed to (KDE, Postgres, etc.).

That's interesting.  I don't see a package list for flight 7, but beta 2
has the same KDE (3.5.2) that I'm running from Etch.  Of course flight 7
is really more like Sid (unstable) and Dapper will start to age relative
to testing as soon as it releases.

They say "With a predictable release cycle [...] Kubuntu is the
GNU/Linux distribution for everyone".  Not for me though.  I prefer no
release cycle at all.  (Yeah, you'll probably get tired of me saying
that before I get enough experience to make a comprehensive case.  But I
think that Free Software makes it possible to avoid disruptive upgrades
and that will be the new paradigm in system administration.  Prophet or
fool?  Place your bets now and tune in at 10.)